The evolution of Margaret River Gourmet Escape takes the 2014 event to new heights
Margaret River Gourmet Escape, presented by Siemens Home Appliances, is set to wow with a plethora of new faces to the stellar line up and an impressive collection of new events taking place in the forest, in vineyards, at the beach and even out at sea showcasing the extraordinary produce and beauty of the region.
Offering more events, new event formats and more choice across the three-day festival than ever before from 21-23 November, tickets for all events go on sale Thursday 17th July through Ticketek.
Who’s joining the multitude of internationally and Australian acclaimed chefs for 2014? Here are a few new faces to whet your appetite:
• Massimo Bottura (Osteria Francescana, Modena Italy) chef/patron of the three-Michelin star, number 3 best restaurant in the world in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards list. Bottura will be attending as part of his Australian book tour for Never Trust a Skinny Italian Chef (Phaidon)
• Ashley Palmer-Watts (Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London UK) –heads up the kitchens of the two Michelin starred Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London UK
• Davide Scabin (Combal.Zero, Rivoli Italy) – Ranked number 51 in the world* with two Michelin stars
• Jonny Lake (The Fat Duck, Bray UK) – Head chef of the three Michelin starred The Fat Duck and Head Chef of Development who will be bringing The Fat Duck to Australia in February next year
• Clare Smyth (Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, UK) – The first British female to earn three Michelin stars
• Frank Camorra (MoVida Melbourne & Sydney)
• Paul West (River Cottage Australia)
• Ben Milgate & Elvis Abrahanowicz (Porteño, Sydney)
“Honestly, I don’t think that there is any other food event on this planet like this!” said Heston Blumenthal of the 2013 event. So he’s coming back. So too are Rick Stein, Sat Bains (Restaurant Sat Bains with Rooms, UK), Guillaume Brahimi, Peter Gilmore, George Calombaris, Hadleigh Troy and Matt Stone (just to name a few).
What’s new and unmissable for 2014? Here we go…
• Michelin Greats at Voyager Estate – A truly exceptional experience, Heston Blumenthal will be bringing a taste of The Fat Duck outside of the UK restaurant to Margaret River at Voyager Estate. Heston will be joined by Jonny Lake, Sat Bains, Clare Smyth and Voyager Estate head chef Nigel Harvey in creating a dining experience offering the best in WA produce matched with outstanding wines from the region. Heston and Jonny will be serving the renowned Fat Duck ‘Botrytis Cinerea’ dessert dish – a wonderful showcase of food and wine working in harmony to create a world acclaimed dish.
• Feast in the Forest – A carnivore’s dream and bringing to life farm-to-fork style eating, guests will enjoy feasting on menus created by the likes of Paul West, Darren Robertson, Matt Wilkinson, Ben Milgate and Elvis Abrahanowicz, as whole animals are slow cooked over the coals in the fire pit. All this will take place at the Leeuwin Estate’s Safari Club, an authentic Aussie barn in a beautiful forest setting.
• An International Cabernet Celebration at Cape Mentelle: Long Lunch with the World’s Best – Starting with an around-the-world cabernet journey, hosted by esteemed wine writer James Halliday, guests will taste 20 of the globe’s best drops from the finest cabernet producing regions, including stars such as Château Haut-Brion from Bordeaux alongside the best from the Napa Valley, Tuscany, Margaret River and wider Australia. An indulgent lunch will follow, prepared by Jacques Reymond and Hadleigh Troy in the beautiful surroundings of the Cape Mentelle estate and complemented by the incredible cabernets.
• Eagle Bay Brewing Co + el Público Long Table Fiesta– A taste of Mexico will head to the Eagle Bay Brewing Company when Perth’s el Publico creates a one off dinner of expertly matched food, beer and Mezcal. A limited edition beer will be brewed specifically for this event and will also be available over the weekend at the Gourmet Village.
• Food for Thought Presented by Breville – Created for avid thinkers and talkers eager to join in on conversations with thought leaders of the culinary world. This series of events will take place on the beautiful lawns of Voyager Estate as guests enjoy a gourmet tasting plate and lively discussions on thought provoking topics.
• Siemens Collaboration Series Dinners – These series of dinners are never seen before collaborations between international, Australian and local Margaret River chefs who’s specially created menus will be complemented with fascinating discussions and a flawless wine list:
o Siemens Collaboration Dinner at Vasse Felix – Featuring Massimo Bottura, Peter Gilmore and Aaron Carr
o Siemens Collaboration Dinner at Xanadu – Featuring Davide Scabin, Oliver Gould and Melissa Kokoti
o Siemens Collaboration Dinner at Aravina – Featuring Claude Bosi, George Calombaris and Tony Howell
• The buzzing heart of the festival, the Gourmet Village, will house exciting new features including a the Gourmet Village Brewhouse, whiskey and bacon tastings, regional pavilions, wine table talks and the new VIP experience in the Escape Lounge.
The three-day extravaganza is the ultimate in culinary adventures delivering a jam-packed program of events showcasing the best of WA and the Margaret River region through an unparalleled line up of over 30 international and local food & wine experts.
About Margaret River
The south west corner of Western Australia is one of only 34 biodiversity hot spots in the world. The jewel in the crown is Margaret River, a food lovers paradise that provides the perfect base to explore the natural beauty and unique attractions the region is famous for. Margaret River is the only wine region in Australia that boasts beautiful beaches, spectacular tall tree forests, cave systems dating back 40,000 years, incredible surfing, whale watching and more than 2,500 species of wildflowers. Home to more than 220 wine producers and 100 cellar doors, Margaret River produces just three per cent of Australia’s overall wine production, but twenty-five per cent of Australia’s premium export wine. Visitors are equally spoilt for choice with dining options. From sophisticated fine-dining to casual shared platters, the one common theme is exceptional quality local produce.
Margaret River is a 3.5 hour drive south of Perth. Virgin Australia operates flights from Perth to Busselton, which is approximately 45 minutes drive from Margaret River township. International flights operate to Perth Airport.
For more information on holidaying in Western Australia, visit www.westernaustralia.com
* Rankings are from the 2014 The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Awards
To see the full program of events, visit www.gourmetescape.com.au
Tickets available through Ticketek from 10am Thursday 17th July (AWST) – www.ticketek.com.au. Tickets are limited for all events so early purchase is recommended to avoid disappointment.