- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, roast and ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roast and ground
- 3 small dried red chillies, roast and ground
- ½ teaspoon of salt to help with grinding
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Splash of oil (any kind)
- 2 cups of cannellini beans, cooked (either soak overnight then cook for hour or buy ready cooked ones in a can)
- 1/2 cup puy lentils, cooked (rinse then simmer for 1 hour)
- ¼ cup red wine
- 500ml can crushed tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons hot paprika (good stuff that comes in a tin)
- 1 cinnamon quill
- Salt & pepper
1. Roast off all the spices and chilli, then grind then in a mortar and pestle.
2. Fry off diced onion in a medium sized pot. Make sure to use a splash of oil and a pinch of salt to help them on their way.
3. Add in the spices, paprika and cinnamon quill.
4. Add in the wine and tomatoes, simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Add in all the lentils and beans and simmer with the lid on for 4 minutes.
6. Then remove the lid and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
7. Beans are best if left to sit for hour or so then heated back up this gives all the ingredients time to get to know each other.
8. Serve topped with crispy black pudding or bacon or with your favourite sausage. For a Spanish style breakfast – place beans in an earthenware dish, make a hole in middle and crack an egg in there. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, BAM Spanish eggs.